Pandemic Revelations: What My House Revealed to Me During Quarantine
We all got to know our houses intimately during the lockdowns and quarantines. I know I did! Here are some key things that I have taken away from the last 18 months about the place where I live:
- A bedroom and hanging-out space in the basement for my young adult son keeps everyone sane.
- The laundry room really doesn’t need to be on the main floor.
- Who needs a formal living room when you aren’t entertaining all the time?! Mine became very informal!
- A fireplace that works is key – who cares if it’s winter when you toast marshmallows?!
- That outdoor room we created for entertaining makes a great “vacation” destination.
- That some maintenance requirement in the garden is actually a good thing – watching normal, living things happen is very reassuring.
- Clean kitchen counter tops are still important.
- The liquor cabinet should be easy to access and full bar accessories are more than ‘nice to have’.
- Open concept? Not for me anymore. The doors on my own spaces are much appreciated.
- Art that I love deserves the attention I used to forget to give it – thank you to the local artists whose works keeps me smiling!
- A guest room makes a great place to fold laundry and store puzzles!
Your list maybe completely different, of course, but I figure if I really take stock of these things (and more), my next house will be perfection!